Apologies for cross-posting

Please note that booking has been available on the website since Friday, but
there is a chance that booking forms transmitted over the weekend have not
been received in the office. If you have already booked online, could you
please contact the NAG office on [log in to unmask] to let us know. Thank
you. [Any bookings made from now on will be received as normal -
http://www.nag.org.uk/2013-event-registration/ ]

Third NAG Collection Development Seminar for Academic Libraries

Following the extremely successful seminars on this topic held in London in
November 2010, and at Aston in February 2012, the National Acquisitions
Group is delighted to announce a third seminar (returning to London),
building on and developing the original content.

“The modern academic library collection must satisfy a wide range of users,
both on- and off-campus. The standard picture of a library collection which
consists almost entirely of print books and journals has been changing over
the course of the last two decades to encompass the diverse ways in which
information and learning is presented to the user. Libraries are changing,
in terms of the space they occupy, in how this space is used, and in the
nature of the services they offer. Library users now have the opportunity to
make productive use of powerful new methods of information provision. To
what degree must ‘The Collection’ therefore change to meet these new
objectives?”

Our confirmed speakers are as follows:

Jill Taylor-Roe (University of Newcastle)

Steve Sharp (University of Leeds)

Graham Stone (University of Huddersfield)

Caren Milloy (JISC Collections)

Aviva Weinstein (Maverick Outsource Services)

Heather Sherman (Dawson Books)

Mark Kluzek (King’s College London)

They will touch on a number of central themes, such as

* The element of uncertainty re the future (Planning for the future, cuts,
changes to institutional structure)

* The pace of change (print to e-, the need for learning space, Patron
Driven Acquisitions)

* The continuing importance of print (the traditional collection)

* The effect of Discovery Tools and the next-generation LMS

* The impact of mobile devices

* Open access – OAPEN-UK

* The increased expectations of managers, researchers and especially
students

* The need for collaboration and sharing (consortia, duplication of
resources across the sector, increased inter-institutional competition)

* Supplier input. How can they help library collection development?’

The seminar will be held in Charter East Room at CILIP (7 Ridgmount Street,
London WC1E 7AE), on Wednesday 12th June 2013, provisionally from 10.00 to
16.00 and the cost has been held at £125 for NAG members and £175 for
non-members

Booking is now open  <http://www.nag.org.uk/2013-event-registration/> here
and we look forward to hearing from you. In the meantime if you have any
questions about this seminar, please contact the NAG office at
<mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] , we’ll be delighted to help
you.

Comments from delegates at the 2012 seminar included

* The seminar has been an excellent event again. Like other librarians I am
facing constraints of lack of finances, space and increased expectation from
students. Hopefully, I can put some of the strategies discussed at this
session to day into practice.

* All in all a very interesting and stimulating day. Plenty of ideas to feed
back to colleagues and some good practical examples of current practice.

*I thought this was a good day. It coincided with topics which we are
interested in here. Interesting the range of approaches people had and how
these probably relate to the type of institution they came from.  ………
Depending on the topics under discussion I would recommend colleagues attend
future events.

--------------------------------

 Judith

Judith Rhodes, LL.B. (Hons.), Dip. Lib., MCLIP.

Administrator

National Acquisitions Group

www.nag.org.uk <http://www.nag.org.uk/>

12 -14 King Street

Wakefield

West Yorkshire

WF1 2SQ

Please use email to contact us wherever possible, as we will generally be
able to respond more quickly to this than to a phone message.

However, if you do wish to speak to somebody personally, the numbers are
01924 383010 and 07587 133012