From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kim Shahabudin
Sent: 21 February 2013 12:28
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Referencing 'tests' for new students

Thanks Michelle - and everyone else that responded to my query, on- and off-list. I'm finding two things especially interesting. First, that so many institutions have introduced, or are considering, mandatory tests as part of induction; second, that these are so often framed in terms of academic integrity, rather than plagiarism avoidance. I'm very much inclined to agree with this second notion - in fact we purposely framed our own project in terms of independent learning practices to try and avoid a narrow focus on referencing and plagiarism (which often results in a dependence on the 'how to write a citation' type resources). It's been a really valuable discussion for me, and certainly given me some useful support for recommending this strategy.

I've got one more question for those who have either put tests at induction into place already, or are considering it: is the drive for this coming from learning developers, senior management, academics, or others?

Thanks,

Kim
Dr Kim Shahabudin, FHEA, Study Adviser, Study Advice & Maths Support
1st floor The Library, Whiteknights, University of Reading, RG6 6AE
* 0118 378 4645 * www.reading.ac.uk/studyadvice<http://www.reading.ac.uk/studyadvice> twitter: @unirdg_study
Please note that I now work part-time and am not usually on campus on Mondays and Tuesdays