But the way in which HER information is made available to the public is perhaps a separate issue to the right of an authority to collect that information for its own use. Did you have to remove the records completely or only from the web version of the HER? Sounds like at least your police are well informed and pro-active...!

Rachel Grahame
Archaeologist (HER)
Tees Archaeology
From: Alison Bennett at Place Services [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 07 February 2013 10:28
Subject: Re: HER permissions

We had to remove monument records from our database after information on the HER guided some illegal metal detectorists to a site, where they were caught in the act by a passing policeman. The landowner threatened to sue us for putting information on the internet which could be located to his land. It took a great deal of personal negotiation by the then county archaeologist to avoid this, but we had to remove all records from the land owned by this person.

Alison Bennett
Historic Environment Officer
at Place Services
Essex County Council
tel. 01245 437637
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www: http://unlockingessex.essexcc.gov.uk

Hartlepool Council
On the Web                 www.hartlepool.gov.uk
On Facebook               www.facebook.com/hartlepoolcouncil
On Twitter                   www.twitter.com/HpoolCouncil

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this email is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of Hartlepool
Borough Council.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.

Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.