A very interesting publication, though the programme "A Fairer Healthier Scotland" is on a password-protected site and it would nice if we could have access to that too!

List members may also be interested in the work of the Edinburgh Ethnicity and Health Research Group - this of course is also concerned with reducing health inequities in Scotland, which are considerable (as in many other countries). Their latest newsletter (celebrating 10 years of activity) can be downloaded here:

http://www.cphs.mvm.ed.ac.uk/docs/EEHRG%20Newsletter%202013.pdf

Best wishes,
David

Van: The Health Equity Network (HEN) [[log in to unmask]] namens Alex Scott-Samuel [[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: donderdag 14 februari 2013 15:36
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Fwd: Reducing health inequalities and improving health: what councillors can do to make a difference

Information on an NHS Health Scotland and COSLA publication produced for elected members.

*SENT ON BEHALF OF GREIG STANNERS*

Dear colleagues

A Fairer Healthier Scotland has a focus on reducing health inequalities through supporting action at policy, planning and practice levels across the public, private and third sector. Central to this work is effective engagement with our key partners. As such we believe it is essential to continue to provide timely, appropriate and quality materials for members.  We have been working with key partners to replace the short guide we published for elected members in 2007.

In collaboration with COSLA and other partners, NHS Health Scotland has developed a publication for elected members. It highlights their crucial role in relation to the following three themes:

  • Reducing health inequalities
  • Improving health in a fairer way
  • Protecting health

It connects what the evidence tells us about the action needed to reduce health inequalities and improve and protect health. It links this to the different roles of a councillor ranging from community leadership; partnership working; their constituency/representational role; policy making and scrutiny roles within councils.

http://www.healthscotland.com/documents/6241.aspx

I hope that you will also find this a valuable resource in your work.

Elected members will receive a hard copy of this resource early next week. They will also receive an email providing them with a link to the PDF version shortly after.

I would be most grateful if you would share this information with relevant colleagues.

If you have any questions on the resource please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Greig Stanners | Health Improvement Programme Officer (Local Government) | NHS Health Scotland | Telephone 0141 354 2932 | Mobile 07769931458 | Email [log in to unmask]