Dear All,

There are still a few places left for this meeting.

Regards,
Mike Kendall.

The annual 'New Advances in Geophysics' meeting of the British Geophysical Association (BGA) is entitled "Geophysics in future energy challenges". The meeting will be held on the 14-15 February in Burlington House on Piccadilly and covers everything from unconventional fossil fuel (e.g., fracking and heavy oil), to CO2 storage, to wind farm monitoring.

We have an exciting line up of speakers, including keynote talks from Lord Ron Oxburgh ("The energy challenge and the role of geophysics") and Prof. Mark Zoback from Stanford ("Shale-gas, CCS and triggered seismicity: an environmentalist's nightmare"). Other speakers include Dirk Smit, the VP of exploration at Shell, Prof. Herbert Huppert FRS (Cambridge). Prof. Willy Aspinall (Bristol) and Hjalmar Eysteinsson from Reykjavik geothermal, and as such we expect an equal balance of academics and industry representatives.

For more information the web page for the meeting is:
http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~eardang/BGA-NAG-2013/BGA-New_Advances_in_Geophysics.html

The conference dinner will be held at the Royal Society and, thanks to the generous sponsorship of Shell, is included in the cost of the meeting registration. We also gratefully acknowledge sponsorship from Tesla, Total and Schlumberger.

Meeting fees are only: £20 students; £60 academics; £100 industry and other.

Michael Kendall
Professor of Seismology
Head - School of Earth Sciences
University of Bristol