Hi all,

I think we need to see the PoS within its political context which is reflected across all the draft subject PoS. The deep thinking with wide consultation that took place in the late 80s when the NC was established is not there today for political reasons. A History teacher at the time, I remember the deep concern that ideas that were thought that the huge steps to make History challenging and relevant would curbed by the imposition of the National Curriculum. The fight for the meaningful development of skills and concepts against knowledge and facts was very real. The result was a fair compromise in which those skills and concepts were taught within a pretty uncontentious context with choices for teachers with regard to content. The draft Geography PoS is no better, and the ICT PoS (although dis-applied last Sept) which emphasised 'communication' and 'creativity' among other things has now been re-named 'Computing' and is all about understanding algorithms and programming.

My point is that this is all the draft PoS have been reduced to the lowest common denominator reflecting a simplistic view of schooling. There has been little consideration for the implications on teaching or even pupils' learning, but then this curriculum is not meant to be about that, or even necessarily delivered. The political aim is that no school will be obliged to deliver it ie. they will all be Academies by 2017 (remember over half of secondaries have already converted).

Gareth

Gareth Davies, Principal Adviser

Advisory Matters, 38 Oulton Street, Oulton, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR32 3BB

Tel: +44(0)845 5440760, Fax: +44(0)845 5440780 www.advisorymatters.co.uk

[log in to unmask] VAT no: GB 981425213 Registered in England,

No 7042351 Registered office: 38 Oulton Street, Oulton, Lowestoft

Suffolk NR32 3BB, UK