I don't wish to pick a fight (I really don't - it's Friday and it's sunny here).

However, I struggle to see how having issues with this proposed history curriculum and how it will work didactically and give children any depth of understanding or connection with the past equates to not wanting to teach the lengthy, rich history of Britain.

Of course, I'd probably be spoiling for a fight if I suggested that there are almost certainly many countries with a history as rich as Britain's (if not more so!)

Neil

On 8 February 2013 14:55, Lucy-Ann Pickering <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have found the new curriculum interesting.

Whilst history is a significant feature of Museums, surely we should be focussing on the cross-curricular experience. I'm delighted to see the end of the current system, it may suggest choice but how many schools stick to the same topics year in year out for their pupils.

There have been big problems caused by schools theming i.e. the whole of Key Stage 2 studying the Romans at once and all doing a Romans visit. For smaller sites receiving these schools, rather than receive a visit from the school every year they now receive a visit every 4 years when the topic comes around again, which is playing havoc. Having said that Teachers' behaviour is not going to change overnight.

History is not the first box I tick, often it is art and design, science, engineering, literacy. Whilst this will affect current offers it seems to give the opportunity to really be different and influence the way teachers use this new curriculum, rather than having to jump to meet teachers' requests for WW2 or Victorian days.

There are not many countries with a history as lengthy and as rich as Britain, why are we so anxious for our children not to learn about it?

-----Original Message-----
From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gillian Waters
Sent: 08 February 2013 10:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Draft National Curriculum online HISTORY

I agree with most of the points mentioned- the list reads like a badly remembered version of someone's personal and hazy knowledge of "history what I have done" up to A level!
What concerns me is that there is no choice for teachers, as in the previous curricula, no depth, and inevitably will have an impact, as Emma says, on teaching methods to cover the content as KS2 and KS3. (Not to say extremely biased!) Quite frankly it is a recipe to ensure as few students as possible take up History at GCSE!
As a body we need to respond- how should we do that? Is GEM setting up a questionnaire on-line?
Gillian Waters