Re: Draft National Curriculum online HISTORY

Good Point very well made Emma re: diversity! (Thursday afternoon stress clearly blinded me) J

Like you say the consultancy aspect of this should be seen as a positive thing. A chance for all these worries to be aired- lets just hope someone listens!

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emma King
Sent: 07 February 2013 17:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Draft National Curriculum online HISTORY

Hi all

I'm not jumping on you Liz :) - but - in my view diversity is not just about ethnicity. A broad approach to diversity focuses on the richness and difference of people's experiences in the past - men, women, children, rich, poor, rural, urban, living in different places and contexts – and covers diversity within and between groups.

My fear with a very chronological fact-based approach is that teachers will end up falling back on rote learning - how else are they going to get time to teach all this? - and assessment will prioritise a superficial understanding of 'what happened next' rather than the deeper, more interesting questions of why, and how, and understanding how the accepted interpretations have been constructed in the first place.  There are deeper questions I fear will be missed out, and the curriculum as written risks failing to engage a generation of children in the past because many of them frankly won't see the relevance of a list of kings, rulers and constitutional events to their own lives.  The role of women in the past, for example, isn't even mentioned until the Victorians in KS3 other than of a couple of prominent individuals named in the KS2 schedule. Personally I think it sounds deadly, and I would class myself as a history geek, so how on earth you get a mixed ability, mixed heritage class of 14-year-olds interested in the enormous list of events that constitutes the KS3 curriculum is a challenge I frankly wouldn’t want to take on. I wonder if there’s been any consultation with young people? I’d love to see the reaction of an average Y9 class in a mixed inner-city school.

However, as has been pointed out, this is a draft for consultation only and there is an opportunity for us to have our say - we should take it.

Best wishes

Emma

Emma King
Museum Consultant