HELP! - I need information on the correct table settings and food for a sumptuous dinner in 1801
Please read the Council's email disclaimer notification which is located at the end of the email message.

Hi

Can anyone help?  I have been given a task which is completley beyond my ken!  I have to research the correct table settings for a sumptuous dinner attended by Admiral Nelson and his superior, Admiral Earl St Vincent here at Torre Abbey, Torquay during the Napoleonic wars in 1801.

We are re-creating this historic event in the Abbeys dining room.  The centers of the plates at each of 6 place settings, will be screens  representing a personality who attended the dinner  As our visitors approach the dining table, motion sensors will activated a conversation between the diners /plates. We intend to set the table for the main course.

Can anyone help OR suggest reference material for the following

I need to know whether or not they would have used:

1.      Placemats on top of the tablecloth?

2.      Green baize rectangles concealed under the tablecloth?

3.      A complete felted protective felted cloth under the decorative upper cloth and if so was this white or green?

4.      How many plates/ glasses/cutlery/side plates for the main and following courses for the and following courses?

5.      Would decanters have been on the table or on a sideboard from which they were served?

6.      Communal or indival cruets?

7.      Bread what form would this take?

8.      Can anyone suggested refernce sources for the above AND a typical main course to decorate the table with?

9.      What would be a typical arrangement and style of candelabra?

Any help / suggestions gratefully received!

Regards

Dee
Dee Martin
Torre Abbey & Torquay Museum Education Officer

01803 - 20 85 11 (Abbey)
01803 - 29 39 75 (Museum)

This message is confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and please delete the message from your system immediately.

Please note...
The views in this message are personal; they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.
Torbay Council has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email. The Council cannot accept responsibility
for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or any attachments.

Unless otherwise explicitly stated above no employee or agent is authorised to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Torbay Council
with any other party by email. Likewise, unless otherwise explicitly stated, nothing in this email should be taken as agreement to enter
any binding contract for the supply of goods or services.

Senders and recipients of email should be aware that under the UK Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation these contents
may have to be disclosed in response to a request.
Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practice Regulations, any E-mail sent to or from this address may
be accessed by someone other than the recipient for system management and security purposes.