'Yes' is the answer from Ian Chaney an antique restorer who carries out
traditional frame restoration using goldleaf (gilt) and gesso .
 "The ear wax is placed on the back of your hand then the brush is pulled
over the surface enabling the gold leaf to adhere (and be picked up) to the
brush and then applied to the gesso base.
Needless to say we don't use this process any more !!!! "

So it seems its not a shaggy dog story

Kind regards
Jo
Jo Elsworth
Director
University of Bristol Theatre Collection
Dept of Drama
Cantocks Close
Bristol
BS8 1UP
e [log in to unmask]
t +44(0)117 3315086
f +44(0)117 3315082
www.bris.ac.uk/theatrecollection

--On 18 February 2013 16:52 +0000 Rachael Holtom