Go ahead and add your other continuous covariates and demean them all as
you add (even gender, so it will no longer be 0's and 1's).  That way the
[1 0 0 0...0] contrast will be the mean for group A for the average value
of everything else.

The [0 0 1 -1 0 0...0] contrast will not be impacted (much, if at all) by
demeaning the other covariates.

Of course don't demean the first two covariates (your GroupA/GroupB
covariates)

Cheers,
Jeanette