Hello Margaret,

The CanMEDS Physician Competency Framework of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada are a well-developed program for accrediting specialty residency training and supporting a maintenance of competency program.  More here:

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/canmeds

As a librarian, some time ago in developing a proposal for training residents in various specialties at McGill University, I studied the CanMEDS framework from the viewpoint of information literacy and evidence-based practice.  If it would be useful, I could resurrect that work and send it to you.  It identifies the competencies which have an information component and how librarians might address information needs to support each competency in training sessions.  This work (around 2008) was based on a poster about work at the University of Michigan which created training modules based on ACGME competencies.  Again, I can dig out contact information for the authors of the poster if that would be useful.

Thanks for the question.  Useful to see the replies.

Jim

Jim Henderson

Librarian (Retired), McGill University
Consultant, Henderson & Associates
Canadian Virtual Health Library /
     Bibliothèque virtuelle canadienne de la santé –

     Board Member (Treasurer) & CIHR Grant Co-Investigator

Cell:           514-668-2481
E-mail:

http://wikisites.mcgill.ca/globalhealthguide

http://cvhl.ca             http://cvhl.ca/fr

Mailing address until further notice:

1059 Deal St.
Victoria BC  V8S 5G6

Official address 1 February to mid-June 2013:

#303 – 152 Rachel St. East
Montreal QC H2W 1E2

Address mid-June 2013:

3657 West 23rd Avenue