Hi Jon,

Below is are collated responses from list members collected by Helen who asked a similar question back in 2010. Also I remember there is a was a thread discussing presenting OR, RR, RD, etc. but can't find it right now.

Hope this helps.

Ahmed

Dear all,

A few weeks ago I asked the Evidence-Based Health discussion list for
advice about presenting the results of evidence searches visually. Thank
you to the people who replied. I have summarised the responses below.

Examples http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/
www.gopubmed.com which shows author links and articles published
geographically. The BMJ (and probably others) use a 2D 'Citation Map'
function on their journal website- see
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/citemap?id=bmj;340/jan14_1/b5479
http://www.nntonline.net/visualrx/ or
http://www.nntonline.net/visualrx/v3/display.aspx

Books/articles Cleveland, WS Visualizing Data
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=529269 Garfield, E. Identifying core
literature through citation analysis and visualisation.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.62.5626&rep=rep1&type=pdf
2004 IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization (InfoVis 2004) Major
Information Visualization Authors, Papers and Topics in the ACM Library
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/INFVIS.2004.45

Blogs
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/contact/
http://infosthetics.com/information_aesthetics_about.html

Theories Social network analysis mapping - influence of different sources
and people in generating and spreading/referring research findings.

Software 2D bibliometric software 'RefViz' http://www.refviz.com/ - no
longer available. More complicated version called OmniViz
http://www.biowisdom.com/tag/omniviz/ ThinkMap - http://www.thinkmap.com -
to see an example - 3D thesaurus at http://www.visualthesaurus.com/ Nvivo
software http://www.qsrinternational.com/ - import the sources into Nvivo
and code the evidence to make relationships between the different sources.
Prezi is a zooming story telling and presentation tool. Topic scape
http://www.topicscape.com/Topicscape-3D-mindmap-structure-explained.php -
3D mind map.

Helen

Helen Outhwaite
Knowledge Manager, Yorkshire and Humber Public Health Observatory
email: [log in to unmask]