***Deadline: 22nd February, 2013***

2013 UK Social Policy Annual Conference, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, 8th-10th July 2013. Deadline for the submission of abstracts: February 22nd, 2013.

The theme for the conference will be 'Social Policy in Challenging Times'. We particularly welcome paper proposals that reflect on this theme, however interpreted, and hope to encourage debate on some of the following issues:

Growing inequalities at the global, world regional, national and local levels
Social policy and economic growth
Welfare states during periods of crisis
Social policy and austerity / challenging austerity
Social divisions within welfare allocation and delivery
Employment and unemployment
Privatisation and outsourcing
Work and worklessness
Impact of crisis / austerity measures from perspectives of gender, race and disability
Migration and the crisis
Taxation policies

However, we invite papers on any aspect of social policy within any country/countries of the world and stress that papers from outside of this theme will be accommodated, as is the usual practice for the SPA annual conferences.

In addition to single papers, we would especially welcome proposals for symposia, whereby three or more papers, linked to a particular theme, are submitted together for consideration. Symposia will allow participants to engage more deeply with their special interests and create a space for focused debate on a specific theme. Ideas for symposia will need to be submitted by the panel proposer in the first instance.

Unlike previous years, we are asking for abstracts, papers and ideas for symposia to be submitted electronically via our web page: http://socstudies.group.shef.ac.uk/spa/
Please do not submit them by email. The deadline for submitting abstracts is 22nd February, 2013.

For papers, we require abstracts of 200 to 400 words.

Proposals for symposia should consist of a 200 word outline of the aims of the symposium and the organiser will need to submit details of contributors' names and email addresses. Contributors will then be contacted to upload their abstracts.

All abstracts and symposium proposals will be reviewed by a Programme Committee prior to acceptance. The closing date for the submission of abstracts and proposals is 22nd February 2013. Full papers must be submitted electronically by Friday 14th June 2013.

Delegates that submit accepted abstracts will receive, via email, a web link which they should use to submit full papers in due course.

The SPA will offer a number of reduced-rate conference fee places for post graduate delegates. Details of the application process are displayed on our web pages. We would especially welcome ideas for post-graduate symposia.

The dedicated web site for the conference is http://socstudies.group.shef.ac.uk/spa/

SPA Conference Team, Sheffield