http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/opinion/we-paid-for-the-scientific-research-so-lets-see-it.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130226

another thought on this.

From: "Curry, Mary Jane" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Indexing, Open access, and 'knowledge contouring'?

Hi Caroline (and Kate),

Thanks for following the Guardian chat so carefully. I think that finances/profit may be one of the main reasons that associations haven’t moved forward much on open access. TESOL in  particular is extremely driven by how it can make money, and not necessarily in order to reduce costs for memberships or conferences, either. Publishing costs money, and it needs to come from somewhere. Ideally these organizations would budget for supporting it rather than profiting by it.

MJC