Hello Simon
A few quick points from experience advising on various accessible accommodation projects:

Your main and strongest recommendation should be for an access consultant (ideally who has experience of similar projects before) to be involved in the project right through from design to snagging the final build, and a budget contingency for fixing access to be built into the project costing.
Whatever architects say they mostly do not have the necessary specific knowledge and expertise, remind the estates department that fixing mistakes later costs 10x the cost of building access in from the start.
The longer term and better solution would be for estates staff to acquire access design qualifications eg from Centre for Accessible Environments.

Compliance with Part M Building Regulations  is the start point not the endpoint of good access design.
These Regs are available to view online, and download free, but why not ask to discuss them with estates using their copy, so you can ensure that they have them and know their way around the regs!

If there are going to be lifts, insist that one is able to be used in a fire - it will need separate power supply etc - it allows for disabled people to use whole building fully - visit friends upstairs even if w/c accessible rooms on ground floor  -without H&S getting over excited.  Beyond the actual bedrooms/flats, look at the general entry areas: are all entry doors generously wide, with push button door openers, all circulation areas including where to dump rubbish, collect post, do laundry, reception desk should be designed for equal accessible for students with a range of access requirements. Security issues include the use of proximity card access instead of keys for entry, lifts, flats and rooms...

Wheelchair accessible rooms - it would be useful to put in a mix of left and right handed rooms and with handed en suites too, to allow for varied mobility needs.  Add a couple of rooms with space/wiring  for hoists and tracking (height of ceiling issues) and probably larger ensuite with changing bench. Include additional storage allowance (an extra closet?) for storing of equipment, dressings etc out of the way.  Consider a couple of rooms with connecting door to next room to allow for carer accommodation, and call buttons connecting them. In the ensuites check that the handbasins are full size - too many architects lift the spec from accessible toilet design in Part M building regs which has a minute basin  - but bathroom is for constant daily use not a quick handwash.
Deaf/hearing impaired - a number of bedrooms and commonroom/kitchen and shared bathrooms should have flashing lights for door bell and fire alarm, and wiring to allow pillow vibrators for fire alarm relay.

I hope that some of this is useful.
Regards

Deborah Gibberd

Inclusive Practice Manager