Hi Bernard

In terms of precision of language identification and other linguistic
properties, you may also like to consider descriptive schemas such as those
offered by the Open Language Archives Community (OLAC -
http://www.language-archives.org, or more specifically
http://www.language-archives.org/OLAC/metadata.html/)

These in turn reference a number of international standards for language
identification eg ISO 639, and community created standards for  linguistic
properties.

There is an OLAC to DC crosswalk available, and an DC Application Profile.

Regards

Baden