Hi Nick,

I have done some tentative work on this and have found for the most pressing issue is for universities to maintain their ‘Trusted partner’ status with the UK border agency. Bogus colleges and not wanting to be the next London Met. haunt a lot of this. In fact, my questions to some university administration staff were met with a frosty reception – it could jeopardize the ‘trusted’ status I was told!

Of interest, to me at least, is the increasing pressure being applied to ‘watch’ students and others. Have a look the Prevent Strategy (2011)  Universities, as well as City councils, schools, etc are encouraged to spot ‘risky’ behaviours and people.  As mentioned by other contributors, this does put into question the pastoral role of teacher, tutors etc..

If interested, I did a postcast relating to this and asked postgrad students about their feelings of having to report and be watched.

http://www.open.ac.uk/researchcentres/osrc/podcasts/migration

All the best

Keith