Hi Veli,
Thanks for your detailed reply, however I think my original point still stands in that radiocarbon dating is only used on its own in palaeoclimate dating for only very recent (less than 40 thousand years ago) time and not on its own - for most palaeoclimate dating (especially beyond 40 ka) astro-tuning, palaeomagnetism and biological markers are the primary dating tools, none of which would suffer from isotope dilution effects.
Re. the tropical plants in ice-rafted debris (IRD), your hypothesis is certainly interesting but I suspect that the simpler hypothesis may be that this material is sourced from sediments lain down during the Palaeogene (65 to 34 millions years ago) or during later brief episodes of warmth when the Arctic was ice free and sub-tropical in temperature and ecology. Of course if it was fresh plant material that would indeed suggest a modern-day source of warmth, but if it's old and then it seems more likely to be sourced from erosion of Greenland sediments  by iceadvance.
Re. the flood basalts, one of my research areas happens to be the impact of flood basalt volcanism on long-term climate change, and although it's definitely an important source of heat and affects the climate I'm not sure it works in the way you're proposing.  For one thing, as partial melting of mantle to produce basalt at the seafloor is constantly occurring at mid-ocean ridges presumably you'd have to be mooting a big upshoot in melt production, but such increases would also result in a big increase in volcanic CO2 release - certainly past flood volcanism is associated with episodes of long-term global warmth, which is something I'm currently working on. Basalt weathering does draw down CO2 but on a timescale much longer than it releases the initial CO2, although projects are ongoing though to find ways of speeding up basalt weathering artificially to mop up CO2. Another point to make is that in the global scale Surtsey is a rather small outpouring
 in the grand scheme of things (as shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_igneous_province#Examples_of_Large_Igneous_Provinces). I may well be missing something from your argument, but if the eruptions were big enough to cause enough of the lake-snow effect you invoke to cause ice growth then it seems likely to be large enough to also cause greeenhouse warming that would counter ice growth too? If you've written about this elsewhere in greater depth with some quantitive estimates then that would be good to see - further debate/discussion would probably best be not on the crisis forum list so as not to flood biogeochemistry jargon and nitty-gritty over everyone!
Cheers,
Dave A. McKay

>________________________________

 grew depending how long their half life is).

>The above, therefore, necessitates that a variety of radioisotope dates can be obtained depending which radioisotope is chosen. This arises a possibility of a circular argument as it comes down to the assumptions and judgement to choose which particular isotope is being measured for the purpose, carbon-14 from half-life of 5,730 years to uranium series isotopes that live billions of years. The problem now arises from another observation of the ice berg debris having been found: the moraine drop stones from the melting ice bergs being deposites with a plant material known as Apectodinium. The metabolism of this aquatic plant is such that it dies whenever the temperature dips below +24C and is a common plant today in the Amazonia and seen sometimes drifting north from the mouth of the river Amazon. This plant grew massively at one time on the North Pole and above the Gaggel Ridge where it has been found. Yet there were ice bergs in the area raining
 moraine from the bases of melting ice bergs that fell of the surrounding land masses. In addition another tropical plant, Azolla, is found with vast amounts of pebbles that the floating ice had lifted up from the coastal beaches before melting and re-depositing them onto the Arctic Basin. Azolla, survives a slightly cooler water, but like Apectodinium, not as cold as that where sea ice can be forming. It dies whenever the tempearature drops below +18C at any given time and is clearly another tropical water plant.

>I came to suggest a solution to this seeming impossibility of the tropics meeting in the Arctic as the subsea lava floods on the Greenland Sea where the world's largest volcanic island, Iceland, sits as cause of the tropical plant sustaining heat - while the surrounding continents were cold enough to build up glaciers and calve ice bergs. Or, when parts of the Arctic Ocean coasts were cold enough for the sea ice to form and then drift over the same waters where tropical Azolla was blossoming. I suggested that the Surtseyan eruptions during the ice ages were exceedingly large and the ice ages may have been producing their huge snow deposits because of subsea warming, producing a geothermally induced lake-snow effect, which may have formed a thight feedback loop to drive out fluids from beneath the developing glaciers. Because of this, I have been proposing for the UN General Assembly complainant nations that there is need to take out carbon-14 sampling
 from beneath deep polar glaciers to check out the possible role of major subsea lava flooding contributing to ocean warming and the large Pleistocene era precipitation events. There are large bulk samples of organic matter in high polar regions that can be run for test under Accelerated Mass Spectrometer (AMS) for any presence of carbon-14, and if found, would prove the complainant nations worries right.

>The ultimate cause of the ice ages then being the compromised gravity separation of crust that keeps hydrosphere separate from the asthenosphere, the topmost layer of mantle where there is a very heavy mineral called peridotite that is water soluble under the high temperatures that prevail beneath the continental plates. If the techtonical movements shred the continental plates in the far north, the water incursion to the fault could have started a runaway process due to subcontinental peridotite being under higher pressure than that under the ocean. Its breakdown product in a process called partial melting is basalt, a rock that is found plentiful under the oceans. Our aim remains for the UN to investigate the possibility of this material being leaked onto the sea floor to trigger the ice ages precipitations and carbon-14 could possibly be found to explain all the above.
>
>Kind regards,
>

>________________________________
>Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:56:54 +0000
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Major methane release is almost inevitable - New Scientist
>To: [log in to unmask]
>

>Just a quick note to say that as someone working in the palaeoclimate field I can confirm that no-one uses radiocarbon dating for anything older than about 40 ky (as it get's worse the further it goes back) and so only covers the last glacial termination - standard  practice is to date timings of palaeoclimatic changes through graphic correlation and astro-tuning (as planetary orbital mechanics are very stable) or with other non-carbon cosmogenic isotopes. As such, the big permafrost melt detailed by the New Scientist article shouldn't suffer from the same problem, described below, and the last glacial termination I believe is dated not just from radiocarbon either.
>
>Re. earlier discussions, I'd also write longer about John's claims about Tim Lenton and the rate of permafrost melt, but from previous exchanges on similar matters I suspect I'd have better luck not!  Suffice to say the key question about permfrost carbon impact is in the rate of melt and subsequent rate of CO2eq release - simply calculating the total carbon content of permafrost and assuming an effectively instantaneous and total release is not good enough - and is something which is not well understood yet.  For a good palaeoclimate example of this, see the paper written about here: http://www.skepticalscience.com/Petmpf.html - note the surprising result of extensive permafrost coverage even in warmer Eocene times.
>
>Dave A. McKay
>

>>________________________________

 happened much faster (the more diluted atmospheric carbon-14) became from the discharges originating from the ocean bed and permafrost. Carbon coming from geological deposits has lost all carbon-14.

>>There are 21,000 methane craters on the Arctic Ocean sea bed with sizes from hundreds of metres to one kilometre. The largest methane ice melting crater is 750 km2 in area on the ocean bed, representing huge methane dumping during and at the end of the ice ages. Here is an animation of the problem which occurred during the Ice Ages (destabilisation of methane clathrate deposits by depressurisation triggered by sea level dropping, and then warming and melting of the permafrost terrains and sea beds):
>>
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDJNGSufO4
>>So there is a great potential for things ending up much faster, much worse than generally thought due to radiocarbon-dilution effect:
>>http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2013/01/high-methane-levels-persist-in-january-2013.html
>>

>>________________________________
>>Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:45:54 -0800
>>From: [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: Re: Major methane release is almost inevitable - New Scientist
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>

>>Hi Graham it has been predicted that global warming will increase the
spread of most infectious diseases and bring about new ones.

>>I don’t think the diseases idea from thawed permafrost has been
studied.

>>I it is a small risk compared with what we know the combined emission of
all 3 GHGs from thawing permafrost  will do.

>>So I think one more risk to add to the insanity of just watching and
recording the development of runaway climate change.

>>Peter C

ecologist ; [log in to unmask] ; Brian Orr ; [log in to unmask] ; [log in to unmask]
>>Subject: RE: Major methane release is almost inevitable - New
Scientist
>> Dear Peter,
>>Thank you for Your email. Sometimes, doing this work, I feel very isolated,
and it's good to receive some words of encouragement.  But Your news of the
enhanced release of Nitrogen Oxide is a shock. I had overlooked this completely.
We might all literally die laughing.......Joking apart, the mass emission of N2O
is bad news. The trillions of tonnes of rotten permafrost organic debris, in
some places kilometres thick, will vent now for several thousand years, perhaps.
(it will take that long, to warm it all up, down to bedrock.) I might also add
that the bacteria will feed of the Methane voraciously, and the airborne
bacteria will be subjected to enhanced Ultra Violet light radiation, a known
mutagen. This is a pathway to mutations spreading their  deadly microbial
life. But at the same time, it will  break down the Methane. But clearly
this is a long process. it is now unstoppable.

>>I think its worth putting on the list as a study area, as the spread of
bacteria is explosive, and the effects on the biosphere are unknown, it seems,
in some aspects. I want to know what breathing a deadly bacterial soup does to
my lungs, and those of all the other animals.
>>Regards
>>Graham
>>

>>> From: [log in to unmask]
>>> To:
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
>>> CC: [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask];
>>> Subject: Re: Major methane release is almost
inevitable - New Scientist
>>> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:35:05 -0800
>>>
>>> The bacteria release CO2 methane and N2O from thawing
permafrost.
.
>>> Peter C
>>>
>>> Microbes in thawing permafrost - Climate
Change Science Institute ...

climatechangescience.ornl.gov/system/files/graham_et_al__2011.pdf

Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:11 AM
>>> To: Independent Scientist
>>> Cc:
John Nissen ; Nigel Wylde ; john ecologist ; [log in to unmask] ;

[log in to unmask] ; Brian Orr ; [log in to unmask] ;

>>> Subject: RE: Major methane release is almost
inevitable - New Scientist

>>> Dear Graham, re. Plague. This is
either a complete non-starter or something
>>> incredibly important. I
havent heard of anybody considering this before.
>>> But the possibility
could easily be tested - melt some typical permafrost
>>> samples in a
secure biochemical facility (ie a spooky place like Porton
>>> Down or Fort
Dettrick), and see if any viable bacteria, viruses or nasties
>>> of any
kind are being given off. According to this recent stalagmite study,
>>> the
last time that permafrost melted in large quantities was during the
>>> last
interglacial, about 100,000 years ago. Something resembling Man was

around at that time, but does not appear to have been wiped out,
otherwise
>>> we wouldn't be here, Best wishes Peter

permafrost is actually worse than realised. I
conversation with a bio-scientist friend yesterday, who had
brooding on the subject. The permafrost is in some areas about 4km

deep. It is very old. It contains deep frozen bio-wastes, such as rotted
going to release into
agents that have not been
human and animals will have no
will spell it out simply: PLAGUE.

>From: [log in to unmask]
>>>
>CC: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
>>>
>Subject: Re: Major methane release is almost inevitable - New
Scientist

permafrost has only melted
temperature was only 1.5
stunning news, because we have
threshold.

has downplayed the danger [1], as he
Environment Audit Committee last
is for the buildings built on
emissions of methane into
without any good argument
organic material, and that most
the permafrost thaws, because the
anaerobic. He also knows that the
quickly, because the Arctic is warming at
far faster than global warming. Thus the
exceeded, as regards the local temperature.

> I don't think he is lying. Rather he is under the delusion that the
>>>
> sea ice will last for decades, and everything will happen slowly. He
permafrost,

But it's not just Tim Lenton in denial. Among many scientists who

study the Arctic, one sees this suppression of the reality of the

vicious cycle of warming and melting in the Arctic because it is

just so frightening. And if this problem continues to be ignored,

we will all suffer the consequences of inaction - the most immediate

> being a worsening disruption of the jet stream, with the escalation
>>>
> in climate extremes precipitating a monumental food crisis.

the Arctic, if
geoengineering this
enough to confront
crap from the danger
top priority.

[1]

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23205-major-methane-release-is-almost-inevitable.html?cmpid=RSS|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|environment

What are the consequences? The greatest concern, says Tim
the University of Exeter in the UK, is the regional
Buildings and infrastructure are often built on hard
and will start subsiding. "Ice roads won't exist any

threaten the pipelines
maintenance and upkeep of
lot more," says Schuur.

be released into the atmosphere,
emissions will be equivalent to between 160 and 290 billion
of carbon dioxide.

little compared to the vast amount
Lenton. "The signal's going to be
[emissions]."

greenhouse gases have been
methane will be converted
soil, leading to a slower

Schuur agrees with Lenton that the methane emissions are "not a

runaway effect but an additional source that is not accounted in

current climate models".

quote]

to the Arctic methane time bomb has been
without drastic emergency intervention
planetary catastrophe. This latest
time.

warming peatlands, thawing
solid methane hydrate.

its own heat so reaches a stage where
increasing irreversible.

methane is at least three times all atmospheric

there won't be- for

1.5C is also the end of the coral reefs.

The ocean heat lag alone commits us to 1.4C by 2100.

On Avoiding Dangerous Anthropogenic
System) ... even the most
envisioned now can only limit
warming, but not reduce the
2.4°C.

the ocean heat lag (more than
of air pollution aerosol

> The warming incurred by the time it will take to stabilize

atmospheric GHGs and the added warming from terrestrial carbon

(excludes Arctic carbon) feedback warming has to be added to that

to get the total committed warming, which is at least 3C.

ourselves to 4C.

national UN filed emissions reduction pledges
2100, and nations have not acted on these
Interactive)

can get us below 1.5C

stabilize Arctic albedo snow and ice cooling and
methane by regional Arctic cooling

American food producing regions being ruined by

emergency basis.
100% clean

carbon takes care of most black carbon but there is further
carbon mitigation from other sources of soot like biomass
and open cook stoves. As black carbon is second only to
global warming this can drop the warming 0.5C.

carbon also takes care of most ground level ozone- another
smaller added drop of warming.

carbon decarbonization could be done within 20 years by a
conversion off all fossil fuel energy and a halt to

deforestation.

is reached (we cannot achieve actual
concentration is stabilized.

afforestation would remove and store some carbon out of
atmosphere so achieving zero carbon - for many decades at

least

centuries.

in theory) would
atmospheric CO2 below

> It will take a hundred years for atmospheric CO2 to get below 350,
>>>
> but if we act now we may leave a legacy of a sustainable future.

to convince people of the planetary Arctic
have to acknowledge how bad this is and then
survival.

Tickell

AM

New

link

http://m.sciencemag.org/content/early/2013/02/20/science.1228729.abstract?sid=d26b1542-62e0-4aa0-9239-a82abda2d1ad

inevitable

Michael Marshall

tipping point in the climate. If the

> climate warms another few tenths of a degree, a large expanse of
>>>
> the

uncontrollably. The result:

amount of extra greenhouse gases released into the

atmosphere, and a threat - ironically - to the infrastructure that

planet, and climatologists have long warned

home to enormous stores of organic carbon,

that could escape into the atmosphere.The

permafrost is a particular danger. A large region called

the

starts to melt,

the carbon and produce

soil and releasing ever more greenhouse gases. In

time, we have an indication of when

could start happening. Anton Vaks of the University of Oxford in

the UK

of the Siberian

500,000 years. We already know how global temperatures

permafrost gives an indication of how

to changing temperatures.

record

how the permafrost has changed,

had to find an indirect method. His team visited six caves that

run

southernmost ones being

desert. Further north, three caves sit beneath a landscape of

permafrost zone.The team focused

500,000-year history of stalagmites and similar rock formations in

the

into caves," Vaks

when the soil is frozen." The team used

when the ground

frozen and when it wasn't.As expected, in most of

overhead.But it took a particularly warm

from 424,000 and 374,000 years ago, for the

continuous

just once in the last 500,000 years.At the time,

today's permafrost is likely to become

evidence of how this happened in past warming

periods," says Ted Schuur of the University of Florida in

Gainesville.It

permafrost degrading as a warming of

off. Between 1850 and 2005, global temperatures

Intergovernmental

Change. Even if humanity stopped emitting greenhouse gases

> tomorrow, temperatures would rise another 0.2 °C over the next 20
>>>
> years.

in fact our emissions

What's more, new fossil fuel power stations commit us

are the consequences? The greatest concern, says Tim Lenton
the

landscape.

are often built on hard permafrost, and will start

subsiding. "Ice roads won't exist any more."The increasingly soggy

Russian

and upkeep of that infrastructure is

> to cost a lot more," says Schuur.As for the methane that could be

billion tonnes of carbon

sounds like a lot, but is little compared to the vast amount
are

to be swamped by

[emissions]."He says the dangers of the permafrost greenhouse

gases

methane will

microbes in the soil, leading to

warming effect.Schurr agrees with Lenton that the methane

> emissions are "not a runaway effect but an additional source that
>>>
> is not

models".Journal reference: Science,

10.1126/science.1228729