Or Native American Indians and smallpox. First case of deliberate germ warfare recorded so I am led to believe.

As for viruses I would have thought they would need to evolve through direct contact with host species to actually develop strength and numbers but being trapped in ice out of reach of mammalian hosts (I refer here to our own and other mammalian species because it is unlikely, but probably not impossible for say plant viruses to harm humans directly) they would effectively fall behind in evolutionary development and by comparison to the life forms currently strutting their stuff topside they would be positively archaic and therefore not complex enough nor evolved enough to do us any real harm. However unlike Mandy I am not anywhere as knowledgeable on the viral mechanisms and/or their evolutionary processes.
Just a thought.
Kev C

Brian Orr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Don't agree with you Douglas.

So the Black Death didn't happen?

More importantly, the potential release of this enormous store of methane is predicted to get underway when the world's
temperature is around 1.5˚C, but 'common sense' suggests this is not a trigger point and my guess is that the process
predicted is already slowly underway - although at present temperatures it is probably nothing to worry about. But the
earth's temperature is rising quite 'nicely' - and accelerating, as positive feed-backs kick-in and fossil fuel consumption
is still going up, so I think we could easily hit 1.5˚C in 20 - 30 years time. We would still probably have our civilisation
largely intact, apart from some major hiccups with 'bad weather' and food supply difficulties - hitting the poorest primarily.

So we do have the potential for something nasty happening here - aside from the acceleration towards 'planet Venus'.

And regarding the survivability of these micro-organisms, I think it was your good self, Douglas, that pointed out to me that
viruses aren't really a life-form. My guess is that many of them can survive almost any conditions that the earth's surface
can come up with.

And as for our immune system(s) always having developed in the context of "new threats from micro-organisms", not strictly
true. Our immune system can only develop through the agency of an actual attack by said micro-organisms and quite often
the 'development' is achieved through natural selection. Go back in time and ask the South Sea Islanders what happened
when they were introduced to the common cold, or ditto for rabbits and myxomatosis!

Cheers,

Brian