I am attempting to purify a protein complex of two proteins.  The Protein "A" and Protein "B" have been co-expressed in media containing N15-Cys.  Protein "A" has a 6-histadine tag.  I am able to purify this complex via a Ni-NTA column with good results.  I now have the Protein "A-labled/B-labled" complex with some excess Protein "A."  The "A/B" complex has a molecular weight of ~60 kDa.

I want to exchange the labeled Protein "B" in the "A/B" complex for un-labled Protein "B."

I have also expressed GST-tagged Protien "B" in media without N15-Cys.  With GST-tagged Protien "B" (unlabled) bound to a GSH column, I applied the "A-labled/B-labled" complex to the GSH column.  However, almost all of the protein remained on the column after on column thrombin cleavage, 1 hour at room temperature (thrombin cleavage site at C-term of GST).  This was my preferred method since it would elimnate the GST.

If I use glutathione elution on the GSH column, then I will have to do thrombin cleavage in solution, which will yield more efficient cleavage.  I will then have a mixture of my target Protein "A-labled/B-un-labled," monomeric GST, and dimeric GST.  I can separate monomeric GST from "A-labled/B-un-labled"  by size exclusion chromotography.

Here is my question:

How do I elimnate the GST dimer when the molecular weight is so close to the "A-labled/B-un-labled" dimer? (GST ~52 kDa, "A-labled/B-un-labled" ~60 kDa)

Caveats:

We do not have monomer only GST.

The pI's are too close to use ion-exchange.

Protein "A" must be co-expressed as it does not express well alone.

Many Thanks,

Sarah Presley

Ph.D. Candidate

University of Tennessee

Department of Biochemistry, Molecular, and Cellular Biology