Hi Emmanuel,

On Wed, 2013-02-13 16:30  EST,  "Sampson, Jared" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> You might consider using MSMS.  If you wish to visualize it, there is a
> PyMOL script available: http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Msms.
>
> Relatedly, one should keep in mind that, while a 10 or 50 Angstrom probe
> will give you a general idea of accessible surface, if there is any shape
> complimentarity between two interacting proteins, it won't provide the
> whole picture.

I would second Jared's suggestion of MSMS.  It is straightforward to set up
a script to calculate the areas for each atom at many different probe
radii.  Note that when run with a very large probe size, the calculation
takes substantially longer -- total run times on a protein of 185
residues takes less than a second for radii up to 15 A, but increases to
5 minutes for a 20 A probe radius.  I didn't bother trying a 50 A probe.

MSMS when run with the "-af" option will generate a file containing the
accessible areas for each atom. I have several python scripts that will
calculate total areas for various atom classes (hydrophobic, charged, etc.)
and also save an output file with areas for each atom and/or residue. These
can be run from within PyMOL or as standalone scripts. Similar to the script
Jared mentions, my msms_pymol.py script will also allow visualization of the
MSMS surface in PyMOL.

My various python scripts can be found here:

http://pldserver1.biochem.queensu.ca/~rlc/work/pymol/

Cheers,
Rob

--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate/Adjunct Assistant Professor