Michael,

It seems to me we have no disagreement, as we both say that it is
*unusual* for protein crystals to be non-fragile.  Furthermore, my
objection is to "gelatin" characterization.  I may be, as is my custom,
wrong, but in terms of elasticity gels are purely entropic.  Protein
crystals, even the malleable ones you describe, have both enthalpic and
entropic components to the deformation free energy (admittedly the
entropic component is stronger than in "regular" materials).

Your comment on the PEG-induced slow cross-linking is very interesting.
What you describe fits perfectly the behavior of long rods of a
deliberately cross-linked crystal - they bend and don't snap.  Protein
crystals (at least some) are also characterized by an unusually broad
range of linear response to mechanical deformation, up to 10%

According to the theory in this paper though, you might be destroying
diffraction by bending the crystal, since in crystal denaturation is
likely irreversible.  From what you are describing (60 degrees,
150x40x40 um), the linear deformation should reach almost 50%,
definitely enough for partial "crystal denaturation".

Cheers,

Ed.

--
Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore