So, if you are bored and have nothing else to do (which is how we all
are at times; kidding), can you set up a control experiment with
everything in the crystal dip except protein (so buffer and whatever)?
I know protein plays a role in the process, but I have done this before
when I had suspect conditions, and it did show that my buffer formed
crystals in that situation.

Sometimes it helps.  But I am one that never throws a crystal away, and
always just puts it in a beam before saying it's salt.  Protein crystals
are too precious to rule out by over thinking.

Good luck

Dave