We’re moving from SP5 to SP11/12 and have a dev server set up

What I want to do is go through the new environment and test the new tools and features to decide which to go with (have identified user types – admins/students/developers/support staff)

Has anybody done this before and willing to share a test plan?

I was going to approach it as themes;
Assessment and feedback,
Interactions (forums, blogs,wikis etc)
Content – (publishing and receiving)