  Well, I can't speak for Britain these days but in Australia the preferred term to use for people from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh is South Asian.
cheers,
Jon

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Fabian Tompsett [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, 17 February 2013 5:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: American Indian Images: Making and Breaking George Catlin's Legacy

Hi all,

I think there is such a diversity of languages and cultures in the Indian
sub-continent that I would hesitate to suggest that people from all
regions/cultures would want to use the same term to apply to themselves,
when living abroad.

One term that is often used is "desi", which I understand is an endonym
i.e. a term used by an ethnic group to describe themselves. The term India
comes from Greek, and is derived from Sindh - a bit like the way English
people sometimes use the name Holland to refer to the whole of the
Netherlands.

Bhārata is often the favoured name for India, and has been
incorporated into the name for what in English is called the Indian
Republic: Bhārata Ganarājya

I suppose it's a bit like the Magyarok, who have put up with being called
Hungarians, ever since they joined a tribal alliance back in the fifth
century.

all the best

Fabian