Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:17:20 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Highlighting Language/Terminology re: BASA Complementary or Alternative History Curriculum
To: [log in to unmask]

If BASA Is to produce a Complementary or Alternative History Curriculum, especially for an external audience, the importance of language/terminology must be paramount

This is a primer I put together

Also, for those that use Caribbean in a blanket manner, presuming that it refers to African-Caribbeans, check out this video (substitute  the parlance of the day - West Indian for Caribbean, and you'll get my drift).

Welcome back Marika. The intention here is not to pick on you, but nevertheless to highlight points we must be mindful of

Kwaku

My changes in green

 6. The Slave Trade Language is important. Trafficking of Africans rather than slave trade

Which countries were trading, involved in trafficking, how were slaves acquired, how Africans were enslaved. They were not property to be acquired. how shipped, trafficked sold; working conditions in the Americas. Who financed, who profited? It is very important to distinguish between ‘slavery’ in Africa and that introduced by Europeans in the Americas. That in Africa was more akin to the conditions of the peasantry in much of Europe.
What were the effects on Africa and the Americas?

  9. Abolition: the struggle We should look at African abolitionists and Freedom fighters, so it's not all about William Wilberforce

The 1807 and its almost non-enforcement for c. 35 years. Export trafficking not export of the enslaved increases. Who continued to profit? The abolition of slavery; data from compensation records of the £20 million then distributed – to whom? Did it finance the industrial revolution?

12d)  African, African-Caribbean and Black (who does the Black represent?????? Do you mean Africans??? Asians??? Let's refer to them properly and not by ambiguous colour terms) British servicemen and women in the World Wars