One aspect that comes to mind is engineering *for* failure; ie engineering
the system so that the most likely point of failure is something easily
worked on or replaced. So putting in a modern material with a much greater
strength may end up causing problems later when it resists breaking and
something much harder to replace or work on breaks instead.

You might try asking a university with a good Materials Science program if
they would actually test a sample of the original bolts and provide a
suggestion of the closest modern equivalent.  If this was done as say a
research project for a senior student it may be able to be done gratis.

Thomas Powers

Thomas Powers