---- APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING ---

It is my pleasure to announce the next of the Writing in Creative Practice Workshops, supported by the HEA and Writing-PAD. This time we want to specifically explore layers of meaning and will be hosted by the University of Chester on 26th March 2013.

This workshop is an opportunity to test the pedagogic approach of engaging with theory through making. We will spend the day experimenting with collage and simple book structures, developing artefacts that respond to the theory of ‘representation’ as outlined in a set reading by the post-structuralist cultural critic Stuart Hall.

The objective of this workshop is to explore ways in which we can encourage our students to work through larger contexts and ‘unpick’ layers of meaning.

The workshop will have four parts:

1. An initial introduction to the theory, group work with the text and introduction to collage methods with supplied materials and tools

2. Developing individual visual responses to Hall’s theory of representation, exploring different ways of ‘layering’

3. Articulating the tacit using our practical work as a starting point which can provide the link into writing, stepping from descriptive and reflective to the analytical and evaluative

4. Sharing experiences with the group and discussion of the potential this has for teaching in HE

“Every good craftsman conducts a dialogue between concrete practices and thinking; this dialogue evolves into sustaining habits, and these habits establish a rhythm between problem solving and problem finding”. (Sennett, 2008)

Taking Sennett’s sentiments that making is part of thinking and feeling to heart, this workshop is conceived to be an opportunity to test the pedagogic approach of engaging with theory through making. We will spend the day mostly experimenting with collage and simple book structures, developing artefacts that respond to the theory of ‘representation’ as outlined in a set reading by Stuart Hall (1997). Hall is a post-structuralist who suggests that images contain a variety of meanings which the viewer interprets utilizing the context in which they are viewed and one’s own lived experience. Hall, therefore, argues that culture is constructed through ‘signifying practices’ rather than through one imposed meaning agreed by society - a crucial concept for students studying within the art and design curriculum to engage with and understand.

Students, however, often struggle to fully understand layers of meaning in both the practical work they create as well as the reading and writing they do alongside the practical portion of their courses. Experimenting with layers in both visual and linguistic forms, the objective of this workshop is to explore ways in which we can encourage our students to work through larger contexts and ‘unpick’ layers of meaning.

Hall, Stuart (ed)(1997) Representation: Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices, London: Sage.

Sennett, R (2008) The Craftsman, London: Allen Lane, p. 7.
Provisional programme

10.30 registration and refreshments

11.00 welcome

11.10 Taking Collage seriously - Introduction to the theory behind, group work with and methods for making collages (Elizabeth Kealy-Morris)

12.00 Exploring different ways of ‘layering’ (Sarah Williamson)

13.00 lunch

14.00 Layering in book structures (Angela Davies)

14.45 Articulating the Tacit (Alke Gröppel-Wegener)

15.30 refreshments

16.00 Discussion

17.00 end
To book, please go to http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/events/detail/2013/Seminars/Disciplines_AH/GEN357_Chester and follow the booking instructions there.

If you have any questions regarding the content of the workshop, please get in touch with Elizabeth ([log in to unmask]) or Alke ([log in to unmask]) or check http://tactileacademia.wordpress.com, where we will share some of our thinking and preparation.

Future Writing in Creative Practice workshops currently in preparation 13th June at Middlesex and 12th July at Falmouth. If you are interested in hosting one of these workshops, please intially get in touch with Alke ([log in to unmask])

The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Kindly notify the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your computer.