Apologies for this, but the departed Professor would certainly merit the
old army nickname "Ankles", which was traditionally bestowed upon a pompous
colleague who was metaphorically so far "up himself" that those were the
only part visible.

I'm not a scholar in this area - I just have a lively interest - but I work
in a Management School (therefore non-academic, even in the Russell Group);
I have a higher doctorate (so I guess I'm a lifelong doctoral type);I hold
two Mcdegrees from a former polytechnic (so thats double cheesy); and was
elected to the Academy of the Social Sciences a few years ago (the
Ican'tbelieveit'snottheBritish Academy... how C-list is that?).

I loved the fact that after Segal's distinctly uncharitable email, the
footer declared the University of Aberdeen's charitable status . who'da
guessed?

Maybe it's just the weather.. no, cos anthropologist Tim Ingold is at
Aberdeen and he is beyond brilliant as a scholar and a step past delightful
as a person.

Keep up the good work - it's really appreciated

Best wishes

Steve

--
Professor Stephen A. Linstead DLitt. AcSS FRSA
Director of Postgraduate Research and