Thanks Julie!

We had compared it to the primates we have at Sheffield, and compared with the species on eSkeletons (http://eskeletons.org/). Our primatologist came to look at it too, but it doesn't quite match anything (the closest was the lesser bushbaby - in my opinion). I'm not sure, but do primates have epipubic bones? I know that they are mostly associated with marsupials, but they are present, I think, in some other mammal groups too (but I have no idea which ones!!).

From the collection in Sheffield the closest matches were mustelids. But again, nothing was quite right.

Thanks again, I may have another look at the primates when I get into the department tomorrow.
All the best, Hannah

From: Julie Curl <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 2 January 2013, 18:59
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Mystery skeleton ID

Hello Hannah,

Have you tried a small species of monkey, such as Rhesus?

Best wishes and happy new year!
Julie
www.sylvanusservices.com
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
From: Hannah Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 18:44:53 +0000
ReplyTo: Hannah Russ <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Mystery skeleton ID

Happy New Year Zooarchers!

I thought I'd start the year with a mystery ID!

Last year we ran a project in Sheffield that re-housed around 1000 museum skeletal specimens that were either going to be disposed of, or had been in long term storage. For the most part the specimens were in excellent condition and very well labelled, making excellent additions to our already extensive zooarchaeology reference collection. However, we got one almost complete, unlabelled, skeleton (minus skull) of a cat sized animal from Creswell's surplus modern comparative collection. Despite it being almost complete we are still scratching our heads over what species it is!

It doesn't match anything in our reference collection here in Sheffield. We know it has a long tail and claws, clavicles are present, as are epipubic bones.
I have photographed the humerus, scapula, femur, pelvis and tail which can be seen at the link below:

Any ideas would be most appreciated. It looks so sad sat in the lab waiting to be labelled, we'd really love to incorporate it into the collection.
Have a fantastic 2013 everyone!

All the best, Hannah