Dear all,

I have managed to mislay an article that argued that the common view of a high calf mortality = dairy production is not necessarily true, and that this was a post-medieval practice which oughtn't be extrapolated backwards in time. The author(s) used Irish sources from the Early Christian period to show that cows were not believed to milk well without the presence of their calf. Unfortunately I can't remember whether this was the sole point of the article or whether it was a smaller section within a larger article/report.

Would anyone here recall this article and be able to give me the reference?

With thanks,
Lena

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net