via Lianne Benning ([log in to unmask]):

PhD opportunities in Cohen Laboratory<http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/research/essi/cohen-research-group/> in the School of Earth and Environment, University of Leeds

I would like to advertise two PhD opportunities at the University of Leeds, UK that both will focus on research in the Arctic.

1. Microbiology/Ecology:  Glacial snow Biomes and their role in C cycling;<http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/research/essi/cohen-research-group/phd-opportunities/glacial-snow-biomes-and-their-role-in-c-cycling/#c14476> eligible for NERC Doctoral Training Award;  please check the NERC eligibility rules<http://www.nerc.ac.uk/funding/available/postgrad/eligibility.asp>. The application closing date is 5 February 2013 and the anticipated start date is October 2013; Ideal candidates will have a 1st or strong 2.1 Bsc and ideally an MSc degree in Microbiology /  Molecular Microbiology or Microbial Ecology;
an
2. Geochemistry/Mineralogy: How do Arctic soils form? Linking bulk and molecular scale mineralogical and geochemical processes.<http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/admissions-and-study/research-degrees/essi/2013/how-do-arctic-soils-form-linking-bulk-and-molecular-scale-mineralogical-and-geochemical-processes/> Fully funded NERC tied studentship; please check NERC eligibility rules<http://www.nerc.ac.uk/funding/available/postgrad/eligibility.asp>. The application closing date is 5 February 2013 and the anticipated start date is May 2013 in order to have time to prepare for the summer field season, or later depending on availability of the successful candidate. Ideal candidates will have a 1st or strong 2.1 Bsc and ideally an MSc degree in geosciences with a strong demonstrated focus and experience in Geochemistry and  Mineralogy;

We also have a slew of additional NERC Doctoral Training Award studentship on a variety of topics - with the full description of each of them to be found here<http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/research/essi/cohen-research-group/phd-opportunities/>

For all fellowships, the applications have to be done is via the School of Earth and Environment Application Page<http://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/admissions-and-study/research-degrees/how-to-apply/>; please check the eligibility criteria in advance and contact me if you have any other questions (Prof. Liane G. Benning - <mailto:[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]%3E>). Further information about my group and the research we do can be found here<http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~earlgb/>.