Dear Tim,

Many thanks for your e-mail. In fact, the intrinsic connectivity parameters for most of the neural mass and mean field models used in dynamic causal modelling are optimised during Bayesian inversion. As you probably know, these can have a profound influence on dynamics and modelled responses. The particular intrinsic coupling parameters that are allowed to change are specified in the appropriate Matlab routine that provides the priors. For example, for the standard ERP (Jansen) model, you will find the following lines in spm_erp_priors

% set intrinsic connectivity

%--------------------------------------------------------------------------

E.G = sparse(1,4);

V.G = sparse(1,4) + 1/16;

These free parameters control the strength of intrinsic connections by increasing or decreasing the parameters in the equations of motion (by exp(P.G)); here, in spm_fx_erp

% [default] fixed parameters

E = [1 1/2 1/8]*32;              % extrinsic rates (forward, backward, lateral)

G = [1 4/5 1/4 1/4]*128;     % intrinsic rates (g1 g2 g3 g4)

% test for free parameters on intrinsic connections

try

    G = G.*exp(P.G);

end

I hope that this helps,