Signal intensity in air cavities tend to be pretty close to that of
bone, which makes them pretty hard to actually see.  Separating air
from bone using the segmentation in SPM is therefore highly dependent
on the tissue priors.  I tried to generate tissue priors that vaguely
represented the location of air cavities, but to do this a bit more
accurately would probably require good quality CT and MR of the same
subjects.  This sort of data is not usually so easy to get hold of
(although I haven't yet tried with scans from The Retrospective Image
Registration Evaluation Project).

There are other approaches that could also be helpful. You're probably
familiar with Clare Poynton's work with Sandy Wells, which should
contain something you could use:

Atlas-based improved prediction of magnetic field inhomogeneity for
distortion correction of EPI data.
Poynton C, Jenkinson M, Wells W.
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv (MICCAI), 12(2):951-9, 2009.

Another related approach is this one:

Hofmann, Matthias, Florian Steinke, Verena Scheel, Guillaume Charpiat,
Jason Farquhar, Philip Aschoff, Michael Brady, Bernhard Schölkopf, and
Bernd J. Pichler. "MRI-based attenuation correction for PET/MRI: a
novel approach combining pattern recognition and atlas registration."
Journal of Nuclear Medicine 49, no. 11 (2008): 1875-1883.

Best regards,
-John