Best Regards, Donald McLaren
=================
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren
Office: (773) 406-2464
=====================
406-2464 or email.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Christian Keller
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear SPM experts,
>
> I used traditional PPI to analyze the task dependent interaction between different brain areas. I’ve got multiple seed regions and 2 conditions, both contrasted against a baseline.

>>> You should really be using gPPI since you have 2 conditions plus a baseline condition.

> One region is activated in both conditions, but the other region only activated in one of the two conditions of interest. I can thus identify seed regions using the contrast Condition1>Baseline in which both regions are activated in each single subject. But I am interested in the change of functional connectivity between two regions as a function of the 2 psychological factors: The change between Condition1>Baseline and Condition 2>Baseline.
>
> I thus ran 2 separate PPIs with the same timecourse, but different psychological variable (see above). How dependent are PPIs on the activity of a given brain region?

>>> By definition, PPI are entirely dependent on the neural activity. However, you do not need a significant BOLD response for information to pass through a brain region. Thus, you can seed a "non-active" region to see if the small fluctuations in signal have different effects for different conditions. Also, if you use gPPI, you will only need 1 model.

Shouldn't PPIs reflected in the change of the regression slope be
independent of the amount of activity?

>>> Yes and No. PPIs reflect the fluctuations of the signal, not the amplitude of the evoked response. The fluctuations contain the evoked response though. Keep in mind, the time period of the fluctuations that you are looking at is the duration of the event. If you specify the duration as 0, then you only look at the first time bin, the default is TR/16.

Can I test PPIs for psychological variables that do not show a change
in activity in a region of interest if I safely identified individual
seed regions using another contrast? What would even happen if I see
deactivation of region 2 in Condition 2>Baseline?

Hope this helps.