Dear Sunali,

If there is a clearly winning family then BMA is applied just to those models in that family. You can then proceed with

parameter level inference.

If a parameter is absent from a model then during BMA it is assigned a value of zero.  The more frequently that model is selected in the BMA process (its selected in proportion to its evidence – see eq 27 in families paper) the more the BMA estimate of that parameter tends to zero.

Re inputs vs modulations – in the families paper the first question was – where does the input go ? family inference was used to answer this. The answer being, input goes to region P. The question about the modulations was then restricted to those models for which the input went to region P.

Re your data. Perhaps you have 64 models for which the F-H connection is modulated, and 64 where the F-S connection is modulated. You then have 2 families, and family inference tells you which is most likely.

Sorry for my very late email !

Best,

Will.