Bob,

I think using a secondary effect (better coregistration) is not
recommendable as this may also be brought about by a wrong setting
(i.e., it is a likely, but not definite effect of the correct setting).
I like James's idea (should have suggested that myself :) to figure
things out for good in a setting where the ground truth is known.

Good luck,
Marko

  Fax  +49 7071 29-5473

  http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/kinder/epn/