Alternatively, you could chop out the parts of the scan where the data is
not so reliable.  The attached function may help here.  Using the Display
button, you can figure out the voxel indices of the corners of a subvolume
containing reliable information, and then pass these ranges as the second
argument.

%     V = spm_vol(spm_select(1,'image'));
%     subvol(V,[32 64 ; 1 64 ; 1 48]');

Best regards,
-John