Dear Jie,
my experience with the VBM by SPM using the WM is very good. I recommend
you use the New Segmentation tool, which does a good job when segmenting
the different tissue types, and then DARTEL for registration. For creating
the template, I suggest you use two channels, one for the GM DARTEL
imported files (rc1*.nii), and other for the WM DARTEL imported files
(rc2*.nii). Detailed information about how performing the VBM can be found
in the tutorial by prof. John Ashburner (
http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~john/misc/VBMclass10.pdf).

Best Regards,
Gemma