Dear Andrew,

There isn't an issue per se with different group sizes, but that
usually requires a correction of the statistical method as the
variances are likely to be different between groups (larger in the
smaller group, just because of the N). Usually, the basic two sample t
test used in SPM assumes unequal variance to start with, which
although it entails a bit less power, as it reduces the degrees of
freedom, is more robust.

So, in short, I wouldn't worry too much about it, although the more
similar they are, the better as the assumption of sphericity is "less"
broken.

Best,

Joao