Dear SPM Experts,
I have set up one experiment and I m not sure whether I m doing it right or
wrong. I will tell the details of my experiment, and it would be great if
someone can comment if I m doing it right.
The experiment consists of 2 populations, one is control and the other is
patients. At time T1 each subject received a chemical stimulation in the
right paw and at time T2 in the left paw. These are animals subjects. As
seen from fMRI, we can visualize the change in the time series activity at
T1 and T2 in many of the brain region just by checking the time series,
which was very much expected. The "final goal" is to find out, which parts
of the brain have a different activation in two groups. In order to achieve
that I plan to go through these steps

1) I defined my null hypothesis separately for both populations that: there
is no effect when given the chemical stimuli. So contrast would be (1, -1).
Is that right ?
2) I test the fixed effect analysis first, by first inputting all the
control subjects and applying the above mentioned contrast and analyze the
activations. Then I repeat the same with inputting all the patient/diseased
subjects with the same contrasts and analyse the activations. The
hypothesis would be that these two populations should differ in their
activations (because one group is control and one group is patients) Is
that right ??
3) In case I do not find any difference in activations; then I should not
do the random effect, since with high power of fixed effect if it didnt
show any difference there is no expected difference in random effects too
!! Is that right ??
4) Can I make a 2x2 design here (healthy+chemical stimulation, healthy
without chemical stim., disease+chemical stim., disease without chemical
stim.) ???
5) My hypothesis is that during the second chemical stimulation at time T2,
it would be a different reaction than the chemical stimulation at T1;
because these are different paws, and also because T2 might feel more pain
than the first stimulation of T1. How can I check my hypothesis ?

Any comments will be highly appreciated
Thanks a lot