*Apologies for cross-postings*

Dear colleagues,

The Social Sciences team at the British Library have a number of events planned over the next couple of months that you may be interested in:

Myths and Realities 16:  Are 'friends' the new 'family'?
Monday 11 February 2013, British Library Conference Centre, 18.30 - 20.00.  £7.50/£5 Concessions

We are pleased to announce the next debate in our Myths and Realities Series of Public Debates. Changes in how we live, including increases in geographical mobility and single households, can affect the intimate relationships we form with others. For some, friendships form the key support network rather than family. But is this really a new phenomenon; are family relationships really changing?  Our speakers are Professor Lynn Jamieson, School of Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh and Graham Crow, Director of the Scottish Doctoral Training Centre in Edinburgh.

The Myths and Realities series is held in association with the Academy of Social Sciences and supported by the ESRC.

Tickets can be booked via our What's On page: http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event140201.html

Myths and Realities 17:  Addictive Personality
Monday 18 March 2013, Terrace Restaurant, British Library, 18.30 - 20.00.  £7.50/£5 Concessions

We are also pleased to announce details of the 17th event in the Myths and Realities Series of Public Debates.  Addictions to legal and illegal drugs, alcohol and tobacco are generally considered to be serious social problems. But what drives addiction? Are our compulsions biologically or socially driven? Are some people inevitable 'addicts'? And, what are the social problems caused by addictions?  Join us for informed and lively discussion and debate. The expert panel will include Professor Gerda Reith, University of Glasgow and Professor David Nutt, Imperial College London, and will be chaired by Claire Fox, Institute of Ideas.

Supported by the Economic and Social Research Council and Academy of Social Sciences.

Tickets can be booked via our What's On page: http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event140316.html

Noam Chomsky in conversation with Jonathan Freedland
Tuesday 19 March 2013, 18.30-20.00, Conference Centre, British Library.  £7.50 / £5 concessions

This special event is a foretaste of our summer exhibition Propaganda: Power and Persuasion.  Philosopher, cognitive scientist and political activist Noam Chomsky discusses the roles of the state and the mass media, 25 years on from his essential work 'Manufacturing Consent'.

Tickets are avialable via our 'What's On' page: http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event140198.html

The Third British Sociological Association / British Library Annual Equality Lecture - The Art of Association: The formation of egalitarian social capital.
Monday 15 April 2013, British Library Conference Centre, 18.30 - 20.00 £7.50/£5 Concessions

We are delighted to announce details of the 3rd Annual British Sociological Association / British Library Equality Lecture.

This year UPS Foundation Professor Danielle Allen, from the Institute of Advanced Study, Princeton, will be speaking.

Danielle is a political theorist who has published broadly in democratic theory, political sociology, and the history of political thought. Widely known for her work on justice and citizenship in both ancient Athens and modern America, in 2002 she was awarded a MacArthur Fellowship for her ability to combine 'the classicist’s careful attention to texts and language with the political theorist’s sophisticated and informed engagement'.  Her lecture will discuss whether the success of egalitarian politics depends on an underlying art of association, explore the egalitarian benefits of a connected society and how to cultivate the necessary habits and skills of association.  The event will be chaired by Professor Judith Burnett, Chair of the British Sociological Association and Dean of the School of Law, Social Sciences and Communications at the University of Wolverhampton.

Places can be reserved via our What's On page: http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event140689.html

Myths and Realities 18: Work to live of live to work?
Monday 29 April 2013, British Library Conference Centre, 18.30 - 20.00 £7.50/£5 Concessions

Join us for the 19th event of our Myths and Realities Series of Public Debates. We are working longer hours than ever and are likely to remain at work for more years. The cost of living is increasing and wages for low and middle income earners may not stretch as far as they once did. Yet, at the same time, there is increasing job satisfaction within many sectors, retirees become volunteers and older workers are often reluctant to retire at all! Within this context, can we really say that most of us simply work to live? Join Professor Sarah Vickerstaff, University of Kent and Steve Bevan, The Work Foundation.

Held in association with the Academy of Social Sciences and supported by the ESRC.

Tickets are available via our What's On page: http://www.bl.uk/whatson/events/event140413.html

With best wishes for the New Year,
Robert

Robert Davies
Engagement Support Officer for Social Sciences
The British Library

twitter: @blrobertdavies