From: Christopher Newbould [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 January 2013 17:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: War graves

It is certainly true that one of the earliest principles of the War Graves
Commission was that all of our dead would be treated the same, with no
private memorials being permitted. That principle was adhered to throughout
both World Wars. There are a few exceptions that can be found in war
cemeteries that are near former Base areas, where it is clear that old
habits died hard. At Etaples War Cemetery for example, although all ranks
have the same headstone, the officers have been buried together, separate
from the men and on slightly higher ground. I always find this rather sad
when I go there.

Yours
Christopher
Colonel CJ Newbould CBE