Dear Geoff,

Very simply put, intersubjectivity can be defined at three different levels:

1. There is intersubjectivity among people if they agree on a given set of meanings and definitions.

A second explanation, and a little more complex, the term refers to the shared meanings of a community (this has to do with their common history, culture, etc.). This allows a social group to communicate efficiently internally. I would call this tacit or implicit common sense; the sharing of local definitions of specific situations, meanings and symbols.

A third definition (and the most complex one) is the partial sharing of meanings or their divergences (practical jokes, the use of ‘double sense expressions, social emotions, shared situation definitions, etc.)

Intersubjectivity has to do with a social group sharing meanings, cognition and socio-cultural references. This sharing gives way to consensus and hence to efficient communication.

In this sense, intersubjectivity between program evaluators, planners, managers, and designers is an essential part of context!

A reference to the subject:

PRUS, Robert; (1996); Symbolic Interaction and Ethnographic Research: Intersubjectivity and the study of Human lived Experience; New York : University of New York Press.

Best wishes,

Gerda

Mtra. Gerda Warnholtz
Evalaución de Programas de Desarrollo Social
Turismo Sustentable