-----Original Message-----
From: psci-com: on public engagement with science
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Newson, Lesley
Sent: 26 January 2013 16:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Royal Institution: 'Nobody cares about your stupid
history!' | Martin Robbins

Continuing Phillip's metaphor...  He will eventually get old and frail and
have to live on a fixed income.  He will not be able to cope with his huge
old house and be forced to move to a more convenient place.

The RI may be old and frail or it may just be sick and therefore curable.
If it is merely sick, it will benefit from public support and regain its old
vigour.  But if the patient doesn't recover, it will become a batty old
relict living off the public purse.

I would rather the RI find a new lease of life and thrive on Albemarle
Street.   Let's hope people will find the medicine that will make the RI
well again.  But what I personally love about the building is that it isn't
modern and sleek and clean.  Something about it makes you feel like you are
breathing Humphry Davy's air.

Lesley