Sue,

Thanks a million, this adds a lot to my resources. I am now feeling increasingly positive about achieving something (other than an ear bashing) from what is a small window of opportunity!

Best wishes
Kate

From: Susan Gorton <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 30 January 2013, 10:29
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] OH Referrals

Dear Kate
It would of course be great if you can get a group together as otherwise you sometimes end up educating them one at a time.

I worked with HR on a group of ‘persistent offenders’ of the rubbish referrals you described so eloquently and which we all recognise. Did a chat, asked them open questions about what they thought and then left them with an advice sheet to remind them of what we are doing for them, how and why it needs to comply with various legislation and professional guidance and how to get the best out of the referral process.

I always leave them with ‘the employee gets a big chunk of our time to tell us their ‘side of the story’, you get a few sides of A4 paper. If you want the report to be useful and reflective of your concerns, put the effort in to think about what you are concerned about and if you’re not sure how to frame, ask me first’ or the short version ‘GIGO’

Have attached the advice sheet – apologies but it is NHS centric.

Regards
Sue
Susan Gorton | OH Nurse Manager | Occupational Health Department | Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Foundation Trust | Level 3, Ormond House, 26-27 Boswell St., London WC1N 3JZ |020 7405 9200 Ext 0247 | DD to OHD 020 78138554 | Direct Fax 020 78138355 | Mobile 07833294568
Please be advised that all e-mail communication relevant to assisting in the management of the OH process will be printed and entered into the individual's OH file or copied and added as an electronic note on their electronic OH record. This may therefore be disclosed under the Data Protection Act (1998).