Hi Debbie

Assuming that all the risk assessments have been done, and that you know what exactly you are doing the health surveillance for, I would start with this.  However, it might be worth having a catch all question in your process that asks about general health, past medical history, meds, ops, etc.  This gives you some sort of quick baseline without a lengthy questionnaire or process, which could be unnecessary and saves the embarrassment when the manager says "I presume Joe told you about his 4 heart attacks and bad leg" which you might not have ask about if just checking his hearing.  Normal consent and disclosure rules apply obviously.

Doing a baseline "pre employment" type assessment or questionnaire on everyone, which is more to do with your "employment" than theirs can be time consuming, intrusive and unnecessary and can be seen as part of a weeding out process if not handled very carefully. I would get their trust first by starting with exactly what is necessary with good sound reasons for doing it.

Thanks

Lindsey

Lindsey Hall
Director and Independent Occupational Health Adviser
Split Dimension Ltd
Phone: 01454 852715
Fax: 01454 740045
Mobile: 07771 596111
Web: www.splitdimension.co.uk
Twitter: https://twitter.com/splitdimension
The Health at Work Guide to Life - out now!

This electronic transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the named  addressee or think you may not be the  intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on the contents of this transmission and should destroy it immediately. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify me as soon as possible.

Please note that Split Dimension does not accept any responsibility for viruses, malware or any other potentially harmful programmes or systems and it is your responsibility to protect your computer systems against any possible contamination that might be contained in transmissions and/or attachments.

Split Dimension Ltd. Registered in England and Wales.  No 5725582.