Hi Jack
I'm very interested in the idea of displaying microscope slides so would like to hear about what you might come up with.
Best wishes
Amanda Callaghan
Cole Museum of Zoology

Dear all
I hope you are well. Ahead of an exciting development at the Grant Museum, I'm conducting a little research into the display of microscope slides in museums. I'd be grateful if you could answer a few very brief questions for me...

1)      Do you hold microscope slides in your collection? Yes, we have some beautiful Victorian slides and a large teaching collection.

2)      If yes, how many? 1000s although many are replicates to show the same thing

3)      Do you have microscope slides on public display in your museum in any way? No, I have thought about it but not come up with a good solution on how to achieve this without staff supervision of microscope.

4)      If yes, please give a line of description of the display, including an indication of the number of slides displayed. A photo would be appreciated if possible (not for publication).

5)      Do you know of any museums outside the UK which display slides? Any details would be appreciated.

If you don't display slides, there's no need to read on.

6)      Are your slides only displayed as part of an interactive? (for example, a microscope for visitor to see a range of slides; are the slides only displayed digitally?):

7)      Do the slides on display include:

a.       Histology (tissues or limited body parts)?

b.      Whole animals?

c.       Embryology?

d.      Microfossils?

e.      Botany?

f.        Fossil thin sections?

g.       Human material?

h.      Hair?

i.         Other? Please describe.

Many thanks for your time.
All the best
Jack

Manager
Grant Museum of Zoology
Rockefeller Building
University College London
21 University Street
London WC1E 6DE

Web: www.grant.museum.ucl.ac.uk
Blog: https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/museums/

020 3108 2052 (or 52052 from within UCL)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UCL-Museums-and-Collections/352538109391
http://twitter.com/@GrantMuseum