I am interested too to find out if there is any research about epidural affecting the length of labours.

In my caseload and those of my colleagues in our rural NZ area, it is not the norm for women to have
epidurals, so those who do, are deciding at a late stage of labour when they have found their labour
harder or longer than expected eg. with OP position. Others who plan their epidural from the start will
tend to have epidural early in their labours. Given that mobility in labour influences progress, and
timings of epdiural commencement vary so much, I wonder how accurate measurement of the effect
of epidural on length of labour could be?

Just a thought.
from
Kathy CL
MW. NZ.

> Hi Sheena,
> Tamagawa (2012) has done an up-to-date literature review of the evidence
> around adverse effects of epidurals.
>
> She looks at the evidence around epidurals and instrumental births, caesarian
> sections, excess caput and moulding, reduced endogenous oxytocin, synthetic
> oxytocin augmentation, infant behavioural development and breastfeeding.
>
> I don't know of anything specifically about length of labour, since the 2011
> Cochrane review of epidural analgesia came out (Anim-Somuah et al.). They
> stated that epidurals are associated with longer 2nd stages.
>
> Anim-Somuah, M., Smyth Rebecca, M. D. and Jones, L. (2011) Epidural versus
> non-epidural or no analgesia in labour: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
>
> Tamagawa, K. (2012) Analysing adverse effects of epidural analgesia in labour.
> British Journal of Midwifery, 20(10), pp.704-708.
>

> Best wishes,
> Clara

Kathy Carter-Lee
Midwife